Wednesday, March 19, 2014

CD17 – Still No Progress :(

Had another ultrasound this morning – and more disappointment. After two weeks of birth control the dratted follicle remnant is BIGGER, not smaller. UGH. So I’m staying on the birth control for now. They took more blood, and after they get the results back this afternoon they’ll call to tell me how long to stay on the birth control for and whether they’re going to change my birth control brand to something else.

Not only was this disappointing news, but the poor bloodwork tech had to stick me twice in order to get the blood she needed… and the first time she was digging around in my arm with the needle for a while before conceding defeat and going after the other arm instead. So not a very happy way to start the morning. Kind of depressing, actually.

I just keep reminding myself that this means no Christmastime baby. I did the math and would have to wait until April 10th to conceive in order to have an EDD of January 1st or later. So I’m trying to see that as a bright side, but it’s really hard. The last two weeks of birth control have felt longer than any TWW thus far… and now I’m going to have more to look forward to, before we get to try again. At least we’re not wasting expensive swimmers. But I am increasingly bummed that we missed February’s ovulation. We’re sitting out two months now. So frustrated.

In the meantime, the SCA event over the weekend was very successful. My apprentice sister Liepa was in charge of preparing the feast, which was – and I am not kidding – a work of ART. Seriously. The platters of food just kept going out – fish and turkey and chicken and rabbit, sausage and lamb and beef (and beef heart) – and all of them with an appropriate side dish of some sort. It was unbelievable. I got to help serve the food, which I haven’t ever done before, and actually had a really good time with it. I also got to wear my new wool dress, which my Laurel approved of (YAY!) and wear my goofy fur bonnet and dressed my dog in a little copy of my dress. Kaitlin ran the fencing tournament and provided dramatic announcements throughout the feast to explain to folks what they were eating… overall a great event, though I was exhausted by the end ( I can’t even IMAGINE how tired Liepa must have been, sheesh!!)

As soon as we left the event we stopped at my mom’s house and dropped Cricket off. She had to stay with my mom for two days, so that my mom could take her to the spay clinic on Monday. On Sunday my mom texted me the funniest sad picture of her, with her huge ears all folded back mournfully, hanging out in her little kennel and refusing to come out. :P The surgery went well on Monday, and they were able to pull her baby teeth too. She got a little tattoo of an “S” to mark her as spayed, and they gave her pain meds and antibiotics. They also said she had pyometria when they went in there – that’s a potentially very dangerous infection of the uterus. I guess it’s unusual in dogs her age, and the procedure cost an extra $20 as a result, but I was really thankful we were able to do her spay NOW so that she didn’t get really sick later.  I guess that’s another silver lining to all our TTC problems – the only reason I could spay her this month was because we weren’t paying for TTC.

Anyway, I fretted about her all throughout work on Monday, left work as early as possible and drove down to my mom’s to get her. Poor little thing was exhausted, but so so happy to see me, and as soon as I got her home she completely zonked out while cuddling me. She’s having to spend the days in her cage at home to be sure she doesn’t pull her stitches out by jumping on things while we’re not home… which I know must be very boring. Hopefully she’ll nap through most of it and heal quickly.

So anyway, that’s where we’re at now. Waiting to see what the doctor wants to do about the birth control, waiting for Cricket to heal up, and planning for yet another SCA event this weekend – it’s my favorite one of the year, so I’m looking forward to it.


Here’s hoping this round of birth control gets this stupid whatever-it-is under control finally. SIGH.

No comments:

Post a Comment