Sunday, April 13, 2014

IUI#2 CD5 - Finally time for another try

I haven't been able to update in a while because of recent chaotic life events. Kaitlin had two root canals on Monday, so she's been in pain most of the week and not sleeping well. And, the last three weeks at work have been getting progressively more stressful and difficult, and haven't given me much time to do or think about anything else.

But, in the midst of all that, a little bit of good news. Last Tuesday I went in for another ultrasound. After five weeks of birth control AND a trigger shot - finally, my ovary is clear again. So the doctor asked that I stop the birth control, and call her when my period started. Happily, I started spotting the very next day... YAY!! So I called her, got my Clomid prescription renewed, and started taking it on day 3. I have another ultrasound scheduled for this coming Friday (CD10). I'm keeping fingers crossed that I don't ovulate early this time... that I appear to have at least one good follicle... and that we actually get to take another shot at an IUI.  We're already four months into 2014 and have only been able to try once, so I am really, really hoping that this time goes smoothly. 

One thing I did notice is that this period looks a lot like the one I had after our first IUI - very dark flow, almost black, and not much of it. The doctor said it might be light and not look like much since the birth control had made my lining very thin. And I wonder if I really did have a very thin lining the first time around, and if so, if that might not have made it impossible to get pregnant or sustain pregnancy. I'm going to take Vitamin E and baby aspirin this time around, but I think maybe I should really ask my doctor firmly for a progesterone prescription too. The clomid seems to really thin my lining out a lot...

So anyway that's where we are now. I do have one other little fun thing to share... one of the ladies from the sperm bank forums emailed me the baby pictures of our donor. If we get pregnant with this donor we'll buy them from the bank ourselves, but it was nice to get a little sneak peek:

 There were baby pictures of another donor, too, who I think looks even more like Kaitlin. If we don't get pregnant with the remaining vials we have, we might think about switching. Still, we have three more to go, so that covers April, May and June cycles (assuming nothing else goes weird... sigh) and I'm hoping against hope that maybe one of those will be lucky for us. 

If we did get pregnant this month the due date would be mid-January 2015... so no 2014 baby like I'd hoped, but also no Christmas birthdays. ;) I guess the universe has an ironic way of granting wishes sometimes. 

I worked so many extra hours last week that my boss gave me a day off toward the end of the month. That is actually kind of amazing, though I have no idea what I'll do with my day of freedom. The responsible grownup in me says I should use it to clean the house (and especially since I think it's that weekend that Kaitlin is throwing her graduation party) and yet I could end up spending it the way I have these past two days - catching up on sleep and doing a whole lot of nothing whatsoever. :P 

Oh, and one other thing - last weekend I bought a new computer, an Asus Transformer. Basically it's the size of a netbook, with a detachable keyboard so that it turns into a tablet... but it's a full on COMPUTER and can run Windows, Microsoft Word (YAY) and Photoshop (when I get it installed.) I am pretty much in love. I can use it for all the things I use my iPad for, AND work on my novels easily. The iPad's major drawback is that it doesn't run Microsoft Word and bluetooth keyboards for it are a pain.  I think the Asus is going to end up replacing my iPad, and I'll probably sell the iPad instead. The only thing I don't know about yet is that it doesn't have 4G, so I'll need to figure out whether I want to buy a separate mobile hotspot or if my phone's hotspot capability will be sufficient to let me do what I need to.  Regardless, though... It's a pretty cool little toy and I'm excited about it. 

Life has been a bit of a rollercoaster this past week. Bright and sunny and miserable in the middle of the week, cold and snowy and optimistic today. Go figure. Here's hoping that this month will be our month. A positive pregnancy test would make all the stress of the last few months feel worth it...

No comments:

Post a Comment