Friday, July 18, 2014

IUI#4 CD13 – Well drat….

The Ovidrel trigger shot on Wednesday night was particularly uncomfortable – for some reason the needle had a harder time going in, so the injection was even less fun than usual. But we made it through it somehow, and had our fourth IUI this morning.

I am bummed, though. This last vial of swimmers had only a 7.4 million count, where NW Cryobank guarantees 20 million per CC (the vial was .45 CC).  The doctor gave us the analysis sheet to show to NW, but I don’t think we’ll get to claim reimbursement because the vials have been stored at my RE’s office since January, and NW’s guarantee only applies within 30 days of them shipping the vials out. NW will also only issue a refund in the event you don’t get pregnant (obviously if the vial worked, there were clearly enough sperm in it!) so I wouldn’t be able to ask them until after the TWW anyway.

But I am bummed. Here we went through all of those injections to try and increase the number of eggs, and ended up with a reduced number of swimmers. Kind of dims one’s hopes a bit. The nurse said she’s seen people get pregnant with counts under 10 mil. And, I have a much, much thicker uterine lining than I have in past cycles. And, I should hopefully have 3 good eggs for the swimmers to choose from, as opposed to 1-2. But the reduced count is discouraging anyway… especially when there’s been so much time, money, and needle-phobia involved just to get this far.

Also, because there was only one nurse on staff this morning we had to wait a lot longer for our procedure than usual. My appointment was at 9:30 and they didn’t get us in until around 10:40. Luckily, I had taken the trigger shot at 10:15 or so on Wednesday, so we should still have okay timing when it comes to ovulation.

But I don’t know. Overall I guess this has been my least favorite IUI experience. We still saved the vial, in case it works... but if it doesn’t, I think we’re going with a different donor next time around, to see if we end up with any better luck.

From what I’ve read, the 2nd try with injectables seems to be a more magic # than the 1st one, anyway.

But I am really not looking forward to another two weeks of daily stabbings. Pfffft.


So now, we wait. For better or worse, we can’t do anything else for two weeks. Here goes nothing…

No comments:

Post a Comment