Wednesday, April 29, 2015

IVF#2 5DP5DT - home sweet home

Getting home this round has been quite the adventure.

3DP5DT: symptoms of really uncomfortable constipation, constant peeing, light nausea, big appetite, feeling weepy, and exhaustion. I got checked out of my hotel, hauled my luggage to the metro and rode it to the airport, and got checked in for my flight... but my flight was delayed. First for thirty minutes, then an hour, then three. After sitting there for six hours (and having to give myself the heparin was injection in the airport bathroom, which gave me nigh onto a nervous breakdown) they finally announced the flight would be cancelled as they couldn't get the plane working. They gave us all hotel vouchers, we had to go back out through customs and collect our baggage again, then they bussed us to the hotel. It was a really beautiful hotel, right on the sea, with amazing views...but at that point I was so exhausted I just wanted to sleep. I was also starving, though, so I had to stay up while they prepared dinner for us. It was a really delicious buffet, with free wine (that I couldn't have). But I ate it as fast as I could and went up to bed. Pillows were nicer than the ones at my other hotel, though the mattress was just as hard. Anyway, got to sleep for like 5 hours before we had to get up at 3:30 am. 

4DP5DT: symptoms of strong nausea- at morning and again at "night", exhaustion, feeling weepy, big appetite, thirst, constant peeing, light cramps. This was maybe one of the longest days of my life (literally.) We got up at about 3:30 in the morning, and the hotel served us breakfast at 4:15, piled us back into the buses, and took us back to the airport.

We went through check in, baggage check and passport control again. They assigned me a six hour layover in JFK, when I'd originally chosen my return ticket specifically for the short layover on the way home... Even paid extra for the higher price, which went to waste since I ended up with the 
layover anyway. Got onto the 10.5 hour flight to JFK. Watched three movies and an episode of television during the flight, before the bright screen in the dark cabin gave me a splitting headache. Also was starving, and pretty much devoured every last calorie they offered us on the plane and still felt hungry... And must have made the trek to that damn bathroom a jillion times. Also had to give myself the heparin injection in the airplane bathroom, which was a million times worse than the one at the airport. :/

Landing set off an awful bout of nausea, where I felt flushed and sick. It was made worse when we got off the plane and had to walk a good 10 minutes of corridors, pounding headache, feeling sick, having to pee with no bathroom in sight. Insult to injury, my right knee had been tweaked during the flight and so I was limping most of the way. We get to passport control - still no bathrooms - and have to wait in a 20 minute line to get through to baggage claim. Finally a bathroom! I took care of that first, went and got my luggage, waited in another line at customs to get my bag through, and immediately went around the corner and re-checked it for the connecting flight. Took a train and then had to walk outside between a couple of buildings to get to the next terminal, where I had to go through security again. 

At this point I'd been awake for about 16 hours, but it was only about noon in New York. My next flight wasn't until 6:45PM. I went to a sushi restaurant, paid way too much for a couple sushi rolls and some ginger ale, and then went to try and find a spot along the wall where I could lay down on the floor to rest. The first place I found was way too loud, with overhead music getting through even my earplugs, and I quickly became freezing cold, too. Got up, pretty damn miserable by this point, and found another spot in a sliver of sun at the base of a window. Laid down there, and slept for like three hours. It wasn't comfortable, but it was sleep... Finally had to force myself up, find my gate, and get ready for the last flight to Denver.

Got on the plane, but couldn't watch any of the inflight movies because my eyes ached. Couldn't really sleep either, because I couldn't exactly take ambien for a three hour flight. Yet those felt like the longest three hours of my life.

Finally we touched down, I went through the Denver airport circus of deplaning, getting to baggage claim, and finally finally met Kaitlin at the car outside. She'd brought my puppy with her <3 so I could cuddle her on the drive back. Pretty much burst into tears as soon as I was in the car. We stopped by a Wendy's to get food and came home, where I promptly dumped all my stuff and crawled into bed. And... Couldn't sleep, because now my body clock says it's daytime. 

5DP5DT - which brings us to today. 4 AM and I am wide awake. Took a pregnancy test this morning but so far it's a no-go. I was expecting that, this early, but  I was kind of hoping maybe for an early confirmation this time. Will keep testing over the next few days. I took today off of work but am supposed to go back tomorrow. Really don't feel ready. Kind of want the whole world on pause until I get the test results.

So happy to be home. Going to lose myself in puppy cuddles and daydreams today...

2 comments:

  1. BOO for the delayed flight and crazy layovers. YAY for the forthcoming BFP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh I hope so!!! <3 Thanks for the good vibes :)

    ReplyDelete