We made it to the ER, where everybody was very nice, and we were there for about three hours. They put an IV in my elbow (ow, ow, OW) and asked a ton of questions and were pretty confused by the whole IVF-in-Greece thing. But they did a pelvic exam, and took urine and blood samples, and did an ultrasound. All the while I am bleeding, and cramping, and crying.
Bottom line is, they can't say for sure what's happening. They sent me home with a diagnosis of a "threatened miscarriage."
They did an HCG test, and the results came back at 7900ish. Given that I was at 425 on 12/26, and doing the math thereafter, that's actually in the right range... which is a bit of a comfort, at least.
And the ultrasound was tough... they kept saying everything was too small and it was too early to really see much. It does appear that there's only one sac in there. But, it looks like they did see the hint of a fetal pole, and both Kaitlin and the ultrasound tech were pretty sure they saw a heartbeat (though at this stage it could also have been my heartbeat, so no guarantees.)
So the bad news is, we could be miscarrying and won't know for a while, until the next few ultrasounds. I am still cramping and bleeding right now, and scared... really scared. Also I am not looking forward to the emergency room bill when it arrives and am a little worried how much it's going to cost. And my arm hurts from that stupid IV.
The good news is, my HcG levels are where they should be, and there's definitely a sac in there, with something in it, that may have a heartbeat. Looks like there's only one, which I am perfectly content with. So whatever this bleeding is, it hasn't flushed the baby out, at least not yet. Maybe there's still a chance that things will be okay.
It could be that there was a second embryo that didn't make it, and that's what this bleeding is all about. It could be that the heparin I'm on is making too much blood in my uterus and my uterus is just flushing it so there's room for the baby. Or it could still turn into miscarriage. This is literally a glass half full vs. half empty situation, because apparently 50% of the women who bleed like this miscarry, while 50% of them go on to have normal pregnancies.
Meanwhile the cramps are still coming, though less frequently now. The blood is still coming... though maybe a little less of it?? I can't quite tell. I'm staying in bed all day tomorrow and toying with the idea of staying home from work on Monday... though there is a really important interview I'm supposed to do on Monday and I would hate to miss it. I would hate miscarrying even more, though, so I'm going to do what my gut tells me to do once I see how the bleeding behaves tomorrow.
So far, pregnancy has been kind of fun, but also the most scary and stressful thing I've been through. That doesn't mean I don't want to stay pregnant, little bean, you hear me? Stay in there and hang on, okay? Please?
Glad to hear baby seems to be doing okay! A couple of ladies on FB IVF support groups have said that bleeding is more common after IVF, so maybe that's what's happening here? Hang in there, I know you must be beyond stressed out.
ReplyDelete*hugs* Thanks Ariel - this is definitely the scariest thing I think I've ever done. IVF in Greece was CAKE in comparison, LOL. I did feel better knowing yesterday's large clot wasn't actually the baby. But I will admit that this is a part of pregnancy I was not prepared for. I was ready for morning sickness and bloating and eating and peeing all the time and even hemorrhoids, but not for scary bleeding and cramping. O.o
ReplyDeleteIf the bleeding doesn't stop today, or at least turn back into spotting, I may stay home from work tomorrow and stay in bed again.
How are you doing so far?
I 100% agree with staying home in bed if the bleeding doesn't stop!
ReplyDeleteI'm doing okay - I still have spotting but nothing like you've been going through! I wish I had some really strong symptoms or morning sickness to reassure me that everything is going well but I'm trying to think positive before my ultrasound on Friday!
From what I've read, the average mom doesn't get morning sickness until around week 6 - you'll be there later this week, right? :) So it's probably coming. But I definitely understand the wish to know more about what's going on. I'm starting to think the whole first trimester is like a 12 week long TWW. :P Can't wait to see your ultrasound results, though, 'cause your HcG numbers were awesome. You might even have two in there. ^~
ReplyDeleteI'll be 6 weeks exactly at my Friday ultrasound. Early pregnancy DOES feel like a 12 week long 2ww, UGH! The good news is that once we for sure hear the heartbeat the risk of miscarriage drops to about 5%. Your ultrasound at the OB is on Thursday, right?
ReplyDelete