Friday, January 24, 2014

IUI#1 CD10 – The Clomid Challenge

Life has been a whirlwind this week and I haven’t had the chance to blog. But here’s the latest:


Tuesday afternoon, Kaitlin and I left work early and met up at a mental health counselor’s office. We’re required to attend donor-related counseling before our RE’s office can inseminate with donor sperm (or eggs.) So while we were there, we talked to the counselor a bit about the possibility of embryo adoption. As it turns out, our RE runs an embryo donation/adoption program from her office, and she has a waiting list that the counselor said moves pretty quickly. An embryo adoption costs only the amount of the transfer – somewhere from $4000 - $5000; without all of the medications, ultrasounds, egg extraction and fertilization procedures involved with IVF.

This actually is a very attractive option for both of us. Not just because of the price, but because neither of us is wedded to the notion of having a genetic child. We want a child to raise from birth, and I want to be pregnant – but it really doesn’t matter if that child isn’t our biological relative. So if my eggs do turn out to be lackluster, we have another option besides the $20,000 IVF procedure. What we talked about is going through four IUI cycles first, so we can use all the swimmers we’ve already bought. If none of those are successful, then we’ll be looking at embryo donation instead.

Anyway, a little earlier this week another person from the NorthWest forums shared her story on the thread I’d posted about my low AMH / high FSH worries: She said when she was 33, and her AMH was .73, her doctor put her on 50 mg of Clomid, gave her a trigger shot and did an insem… and she ended up with 4 good follicles and TWINS. Whoa. My doctor has got me on 100 mg of Clomid. So I went from being terrified I would not be able to have a child at all, to being terrified that I’d end up pregnant with multiples. My god, this whole TTC thing is the craziest roller coaster I think I’ve ever been on!

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the RE again. This time it’s another blood test and an ultrasound to see if I responded to the Clomid. Then I guess we decide if we’re going to do an IUI. Now, normally I’m ovulating around Day 11, but I guess you don’t ovulate while actively taking Clomid… so hopefully we won’t miss our window. Maybe just MAYBE we might even get to do an IUI on Sunday (or Monday, though I’m hoping not because I have a bunch of things on my plate at work.)  Then our first TWW begins.

In the meantime, I spent a good portion of this week trying to work out solutions to Kaitlin’s debt management, since her student loans are going to come due in March and she has some major dental work she needs done, but doesn’t have enough money for it. I think I’ve come up with a few good strategies. Kaitlin was home sick yesterday so she’s going in to work tomorrow while I’m at the doctor. Then on Sunday we’ll get started on some of her debt reshuffling.

Also of note this week, at work I switched offices with one of my staff members. My new office is at the back of the hall, smaller and with very different furniture. I love it. I love the position of it, I love the arrangement, I love how I can decorate it and still fit all the things I need to fit into it. I bought some little stuff at the dollar store to decorate for winter … crystal beads, a white table runner, a dish of hershey’s kisses and some adorable, light blue, mini snow boots (that actually have lip gloss in the heels.) I’m already planning for Valentine’s day decorating. I feel like this office is really mine. Like I came home, or something. I’m already fantasizing about buying a tiny refrigerator and microwave to stash under my cavernous desk, and hanging all kinds of cute seasonal decorations from the ceiling.  I’ve been so happy about it, honestly, that I haven’t gotten much work done today because I keep staring around happily at my new space.

Oh, and here’s a pic of this week’s nails – I’m redoing them tomorrow. One more week of wintery-themed nails, and then a whole month of Valentines!  YAY!!


So that’s the update for now… fingers crossed that tomorrow shows promising results to the Clomid. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment